Spring is here and summer will be here before we know it. It’s time to think about getting your boat out on the water. Okay, okay…It’s time to think about getting your boat ready to get out on the water. From the engine and propeller down to your trailer, a little preparation as you get your boat out of winter storage can help you start off the season right and get the most out of your time on board.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Check your safety gear. Do you have enough life jackets? Are they in good shape? What about on-board fire extinguishers? Are your navigation lights working?
- Examine your fuel system. Any leaks or damage should be addressed immediately.
- Look at all belts, hoses and cables. Those that appear brittle or cracked most likely need to be replaced.
- Check fluid levels, such as engine oil. Change or add as needed.
- Have your battery and electrical system checked. Look for corrosion on your electrical connections.
- Make sure your propeller isn’t banged up. Dings and distortion can cause vibration, as well cause additional damage.
- Don’t forget the trailer. Treat your trailer with as much care as you show your boat. Inspect the hubs occasionally and check your lights before every trip.
- Don’t forget insurance! It’s a good idea to check your coverage as you head into boating season, too. Just give us a call at 701-365-0515, and we can help you with a quick insurance review.
There’s nothing quite like a sunny (and safe) day on the lake. We’ll see you out there!