Spring is coming! Well, depending on that groundhog…
With Groundhog Day just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about spring. Or, time to at least hope that springtime is coming, anyway.
Although everyone thinks of cleaning when it comes to spring, there are a number of things you should do to make sure your home is ready when the weather finally does warm up.
- Check to make sure your roof’s shingles are in good condition, and check your attic for any possible roof leaks that should be repaired.
- Look for peeling paint and repair/touch up as needed.
- Check for signs of leaks at window and door sills and use caulking or weather stripping to seal.
- Clean your dryer vent and make sure exhaust ducts are clear.
- Make sure there are no puddles or wet spots in your basement or crawlspace.
- Look for signs of rodents, roaches, termites, etc. Call an exterminator if you suspect an infestation.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts.
- Clean air conditioner coils and drain pans.
- Check/replace the batteries your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Replace filters in your air conditioner and dehumidifier.
- Store winter heaters, ensuring that liquid-fuel heaters are completely emptied. These should be stored outside, if possible.
What!? Six more weeks of winter?
Well, you can take solace in the fact that spring will be here eventually. In the meantime, here are some quick tips to avoid the “winter blues” and get through those long weeks of waiting.
Keep active. Exercise releases endorphins that will elevate your mood.
Eat well. High-sugar foods and large amounts of caffeine can feed depression and actually decrease your energy level. Foods such as whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, seafood and lean meats can help your immune system.
Go to the light. Bring as much light into your life as possible, by spending time outdoors, opening your shades so your home receives more natural light, or even get help from a “light box.”
Get your rest. Go to bed around the same time every night and wake up at the same time each morning. You’ll have more energy during the day.
Is it time for an insurance review?
If an annual insurance review wasn’t included in your New Year’s resolutions, why not get it done while you’re in the cleaning and organizing mood this spring? Your life changes over the course of a year, sometimes in monumental ways. That means your insurance needs can change, too.
At Absolute Insurance, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time utilizing all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable.